Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life’s Brief Candle

          “Life’s Brief Candle” was once being included in the KBSM English Literature Component from 2002 until 2009 for Form One students. Even though now there are other new poems being taught in the Form One syllabus, I still think that my research is beneficial not only for poetry lovers but also for the sake of education. The Education Ministry in the many years to come may  (or may not) use the same text again like “Interlok” which was taught in Form Six in the 70s and now it has resurfaced.

“Life’s Brief Candle”, though some have claimed to be dull and boring, to me is the easiest to comprehend of Shakespeare’s other poems. Those (Malaysian) who were ‘against’ the poem perhaps were not familiar with the cultural nature of the poem, with it being foreign. They did not share the same background schemata with the poet. Those (Malaysian) who were ‘supporters’ of the poem perhaps have learnt the poem in universities or maybe they are simply literature (of all kind) lovers.
           
        I believe that this research contributes towards the learning of metaphors and symbolism, especially in the chosen poem itself. By giving definitions and easy examples, the research provides readers or students the specific words, phrases and lines found in the poem.

The language used in this research is easy to moderate where I purposely did not use higher levels of vocabulary because my target readers are mainly pupils and students and Malaysian teachers teaching English literature in schools. I do not mean to underestimate or belittling our students and teachers’ command of the language, but I aim to make it easier for them to grasp the idea. In my opinion, there is no point in using bombastic or higher levels of vocabulary if it does not serve any purpose and further confuses the readers.

Reading through the research, some might notice that I have used some metaphors. That, I did on purpose. I simply wish to let the readers (especially students) to know that one does not necessarily be a poet to use metaphor. It is used to encourage students to use metaphors in their essay writing.
           
          Thus, I sincerely hope that this research would be of assistance to our learners and educationists, not only in the literature field, but other fields as well.

Talking about fields, it reminds me of the scene where Professor John Keating brought his students to the field and kick the ball. He teaches poetry in many interesting and unexpected ways. He deals with all the multiple intelligences. Personally, I believe that every teacher should do that in teaching literature because literature is, I admit not everyone’s cup of tea. Educationists should, with regards to my research, teach metaphors and symbolism in ways that involve a lot of multiple intelligences so students would not murder literature with their boredom expectations. Never let them bask in silence during poetry lessons but let them participate actively and we might be surprised with what they actually have in mind. I believe our students have something that they do not even realize they have. As teachers, we need to have plans that could serve as a trigger to their creative minds.


No comments:

Post a Comment